Podcast (superman-confidential-podcast): Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Stitcher | TuneIn | RSS
The newest animated Superman film, Reign of the Supermen, has been released! This week’s podcast takes a look at the sequel to The Death of Superman and compares it to the original comic book saga that inspired the film.
- Full review from the DC Drop Podcast
- Directed by Sam Liu
- Written by Jim Kreig and Tim Sheridan
Similarities/differences from comic arc
- Fits within DCAMU
- Original story arc – 40-50 issues
- Replacement Supermen – Superboy, Steel, Eradicator, Cyborg Superman
- Superboy is a (immediately) a clone of Superman and Lex Luthor
- Darkseid subplot/manipulation of Hank Henshaw
- Main stories – The Death of Superman, Funeral for a Friend/World Without Superman, and The Return of Superman
Removed story points
- Many ongoing subplots from comics obviously removed (Bloodlines tie-in, etc.)
- Many supporting characters also removed – Guardian, Gangbuster, Matrix Supergirl, Lana Lang, Professor Emil Hamilton
- Much of Funeral For a Friend
- Unused characters/concepts – Mongul, Coast City
- Superman’s body is missing from tomb (twice)
- Removed mystery of if the real Superman is one of the replacements
- Removed Jonathan Kent’s heart attack/meeting Clark in the afterlife
Altered story points
- Some changes carry over from The Death of Superman animated movies – Justice League, etc.
- How Cyborg Superman gets the President’s trust
- Ron Troupe gets a promotion/Clark Kent’s job?
- Time jump – 6 months in the movie?
- How Justice League is sent off world
- How Superman’s powers return
- The origin of Doomsday
- Darkseid’s manipulation of Hank Henshaw
- The origin of Superboy
- The origin of the Eradicator
- Martian Manhunter helps Clark Kent return
Added plot points
- In-universe stuff – Justice League Watchtower, Darkseid’s hopeful invasion, Credits scene
- Cyber Corps
Setting up future stories
- Comics – Superboy, Steel, Eradicator in the Outsiders, Superman/Doomsday: Hunter/Prey
- Mystery of the replacement Supermen
- Superman’s return
- Not enough emphasis on Superman?
- Why is Superman important?