On this episode of Superman & Lois: The New Adventures podcast, we take a look at the uncertainty of TV production in the midst of the current pandemic. We also take a look at the rest of the main cast being announced and the Men of Steel and Superman: Multiplicity stories from the Rebirth-era comics.
- Pilot production was slated to start March 23 – May 14
- (The Wrap) – The CW’s May Upfronts have been cancelled
- SDCC cancelled
- Deadline (March) – “[A} number of projects — including…the CW’s Superman & Lois — have straight-to-series orders and have writers rooms going. Most of them were planning to film a pilot episode during pilot season, take a break to assess it before starting series production. They will now go straight to series production.”
- After cancellation of Pilot production, likely were planning to begin filming in July, although there are obviously many variables
- (Deadline) – Greg Berlanti sets up funds for employees
- (Later Deadline articles) confirm Superman & Lois has an initial 13-episode order, standard for The CW
Dylan Walsh (Nip/Tuck, Unforgettable) cast as a series regular as General Sam Lane, Lois’ father – Deadline
- “Walsh’s Samuel Lane is a no-nonsense Army general who’s determined to keep America, and the world, safe from all threats – from this world or beyond. Lane’s a workaholic who demands nothing but excellence from all those in his life.”
- Glenn Morshower had previously played General Lane in several Season 1 episodes of Supergirl
- Will the rest of the Lane family (Ella, Lucy) be involved?
- Sam Lane first appeared Superman’s Girl Friend, Lois Lane #13 (November 1959)
- Other live-action appearances – Was played by Denis Arndt and Harve Presnell in Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman, Michael Ironside in Smallville, and Kirk Alyn (Superman in the serials) had a cameo in Superman: The Movie
Emmanuelle Chriqui (Shriek-y) (Entourage, The Passage) cast in series regular role as Lana Lang – Deadline
- Lana Lang-Cushing is “the loan officer at Smallville Bank who stayed in Smallville when others left for something bigger and brighter. Lana re-establishes her friendship with her old friend, Clark Kent, during one of the most difficult periods in her life.”
- What will Lana’s role be?
- Previous live-action appearances – Pilot for the cancelled 1961 The Adventures of Superboy, Stacy Haiduk in 4 seasons of Superboy (1988-1992), 1 episode of Lois & Clark, Kristin Kreuk in Smallville (Seasons 1-8), young Lana in Superman: The Movie, Annette O’Toole in Superman III (1983), and small appearances in Man of Steel and Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
Erik Valdez (Graceland) cast as Kyle Cushing, husband of Lana in series regular role – Deadline
- “Cushing is Smallville’s fire chief and local hero who’s seen his fair share of tragedy. Small town raised with small town beliefs, Kyle doesn’t care much for the big city and often butts heads with people that come from it.”
- Cushing is an original character
Final full main cast?
- Tyler Hoechlin as Clark Kent/Superman
- Elizabeth Tulloch as Lois Lane
- Jordan Elsass as Jonathan Kent
- Alexander Garfin as Jordan Kent
- Emmanuelle Chriqui as Lana Lang-Cushing
- Erik Valdez as Kyle Cushing
- Dylan Walsh as General Sam Lane
- Twitter @TVSupermanLois
- [email protected]