Multiple pieces of news related to Superman came out of the 2019 San Diego Comic-Con. Animated movies Superman: Red Son and Superman: Man of Tomorrow will release in 2020. On the Crisis on Infinite Earths front, both Brandon Routh and Tyler Hoechlin will appear as Superman, while Bitsie Tulloch’s Lois Lane and Jon Cryer’s Lex Luthor will also show up.
2020 animated movies – DC Comics
- First to be released – Superman: Red Son, based on the Elseworlds where Kal-El emerges in the Soviet Union in the 1950s
- Written by Mark Millar, released in 2003
- Spring – Justice League Dark: Apokolips War, a sequel to Justice League Dark.
- Follow-up to Reign of the Supermen credits scene? Will Superman and Lex Luthor appear
- Final film – Superman: Man of Tomorrow, “a fully original story featuring a young Superman early in his career.”
- Will it be set in the DCAMU? Maybe a prequel to The Death of Superman?
Brandon Routh to play Superman (in addition to Ray Palmer) on The CW’s Crisis on Infinite Earths – Deadline
- Big screen Superman on small screen
- Unknown if it will be his Superman in Superman Returns or a new/generic Superman
- Shirt-ripped at Arrow panel to reveal Kingdom Come-style Superman shirt; joked (I think) that they couldn’t get the Superman Returns costume
- Is he from a universe where Kingdom Come happened or just wearing the costume?
- Will they leave it open-ended?
- Will it be a one-time thing?
- What about his Universe?
- Could he get a happy ending with Lois Lane (Kate Bosworth)?
- Any other characters from Superman Returns – Sam Huntington as Jimmy Olsen
- Could he be established before crossover?
- Routh was youngest to play Superman in live-action (besides John Haymes Newton in Season 1 of Superboy), now will be second-oldest (besides George Reeves)
- How will Routh’s portrayal change from Superman Returns?
- Routh has already talked about hitting the gym to bulk back up
- Entertainment Weekly – “It’s an opportunity for me to kind of say hello and goodbye to the character in a way I didn’t get to the first time. Being a young individual of 24, 25, I thought, ‘Oh, I’m going to do this for years and make multiple movies.’ And that of course didn’t happen. I’m just very honored to be able to do this one last time.”
- Arrow Panel – Marc Guggenheim mentioned we will see the Daily Planet “Being Superman, Being Clark Kent, Being in the Daily Planet”
- John Williams theme?
Tyler Hoechlin will return as his Superman for Crisis on Infinite Earths
- Could he return mid-crisis from Argo?
- Where will they go from here?
Elizabeth “Bitsie” Tulloch will return as Lois Lane for Crisis on Infinite Earths – Entertainment Weekly
- Could she be reporting the news (maybe with Iris) like the COIE comic
The child of Hoechlin’s Clark Kent and Tulloch’s Lois Lane will be introduced in Crisis
- Would be at least 6 months old probably?
- Named Jon Kent?
- Would be first appearance of Jon Kent
- Lois & Clark (kinda) had a child in Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman and Superman Returns
- Young Jon Kent also had a cameo in Season 3 of Young Justice
- Continuing the storyline from “Elseworlds”
- Why introduce the child of a supporting character in such a big crossover?
Jon Cryer to return as Lex Luthor in Crisis on Infinite Earths
- Could Alexander Luthor, Alexander Luthor Jr., Earth-1 Lex Luthor, or Earth-2 Alexei Luthor appear?
- Other Lex Luthors – Sherman Howard, John Shea, Michael Rosenbaum
- Expectations – John Wesley Shipp in “Elseworlds”
- Only 5 episodes
- No word on how many episodes will they appear in?
- Who will survive?
- What will happen to their worlds?
- Any reference to John Haymes Newton, Gerard Christopher, Dean Cain, or Tom Welling?
- Shaquille O’Neal as Steel, Annabeth Gish, Helen Slater as Supergirl, Marc McClure as Jimmy Olsen
- Stacey Haiduk as Lana Lang (Superboy)
- Teri Hatcher as Lois Lane (Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman), Michael Landes/Jimmy Whalin as Jimmy Olsen, Tracy Scoggins as Cat Grant
- Smallville or Krypton characters